Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Emersion trip



Yesterday, I received my emersion trip to Padra. The emersion trip is to get us familiar the region that we will be working in with a Peace Corp Volunteer already working in the region. I will leave Wakiso on Tuesday next week and traveling to Gulu to visit some of the NGO’s (Non Profit Government Organization). One of the NGO’s I will visit will be with Invisible Children. Then I will travel on to Pader, to see a less developed area of the North. The PVC I will be visiting works with an organization for girls’s secondary school, which I will see and participate in a life-skills class. She works at a former return and reintegration center called Christian Counseling Fellowship, which has now begun to focus on education, health and child protection for those impacted by the war with the LRA. I will also be able to visit the heath center in the area and observe procedures and classes. I heard that Pader is off the beaten path!


We will be coming back to Wakiso that Saturday, so it should be a fast trip. The pictures you see above are of Wakiso where I have been staying. As you can see, it is totally like I expected. I am still in training from 8 AM to 5:30 PM everyday, still working on Lango! We learned yesterday about the Emergency Action Plan. They really do have and extensive plan and I feel that it is very good! Last year they used the plan 3 times, so they do have experience with it. I am not sure if you have heard about the PCV that was murdered, but from what I understand he was out after dark. That put him at high risk for violence. Please pray for his family.

We have been told that we will be sworn in on October 21st at the Ambassadors home. That should be exciting! Hope all is well with everyone.


Love & Light,

Mari

1 comment: