Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Swearing In Ceremony

Well, Finally after 2 years and 2 months, I have been sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer!

Anyway, the week before swearing in was very busy and we were moving from place to place. Our Site supervisors and counterparts met us in Seeta where we had a 2 day workshop. Thursday we were sworn in at the Ambassador’s home (which by the way is hugh!) That Friday we traveled up North. Our Supervisors rode public transportation and did not come with a vehicle so the 3 of us going to the North rented a private hire because we had so much stuff! It took us 6 hours non stop. My 2 suitcases turned into 4, we all had buckets, books and other stuff as well as the backpacks that were full! You would not believe it. Most of this stuff I will leave here when I come home. The private hire was expensive, however it was worth the piece of mind. Things get stolen in the taxi park and the bus park at Kampala (it is mass hysteria) and there was no way we could have carried all our luggage. In fact, one of the PVC’s that was going to his site with his counterpart got carjacked and lost everything! He is safe and alive, however since his life was threatened he was very upset. PC Office and the US Embassy is helping him emotionally and helping him financially to get his life back in order. That was 2 weeks ago and I have heard he is back at his site and adjusting well. Keep him in your prayers.
It has rained in the North alot, great thunderstorms! But the rain has made the roads are really bad! Many trucks get stuck in the mud. We had to use a 4 wheel drive to get to my new home in Iceme. The drivers here are very good! Actually, unbelievable! Even in snow, I have never seen anyone drive as good as these guys.
I arrived on Friday the 22nd and on the 23rd the 3 of us were taken to Lira to buy some of the things we will need. I brought a mattress, plates, groceries etc. but was unable to buy a bike and some other important things. So we will maybe go to Gulu to get a bike, hopefully soon. I have a 1 room place, so I brought some paint in Lira, cleaned the walls and floor with bleach and used bug spray. I would like to get the carpenter in town to make me a cabinet to put things in like dishes and food etc. I just have 4 walls now. Most people here put nails in the walls and hang there cloths. So I am not sure yet, what will happen with my cloths. I am hoping that they will let me get settled in first before I start working. However, when I arrived Friday, they said, “Well tomorrow (meaning Saturday) we will work on an action plan.” But as you know now, I went to Lira to shop. So I think things can be flexible.
I went to mass on the 24th and was introduced to the community by Sr. Gertrude. She told the community in Lango that they were to protect me and if they saw anything that may cause me harm that they were to report it immediately. She is a voice of authority to them. So I really feel safe were I am.
The churches in Uganda are also used for all communication to the public community. So a mass can last 3 hours. They don’t have much radio, because there is no electricity. The church which is very large was packed and people were outside on all three sides. It is tradition here in Uganda to go though all the local councils in order to do anything here, so being announced and accepted today was a hugh step. If you are not accepted by the people here in Uganda...you can not accomplish anything because they will not listen to you or come to any training even in the villages. The following two weeks I was introduced to some of the Local Council and District leaders and the Chief Health Inspector and the Health Inspector. I will be traveling some with the Health Inspector, so it was good to finally meet him. I have been to Lira a couple of times to pick up items. when I brought my mattress back it was put on the back of a truck and it poured down rain...but a mattress in Uganda is not the same as a mattress in the States. It dried and all is well. I wish I had a picture, but when I was bringing my kitchen table back, I was in a pick up truck that was filled with cement, and people in the back and my table was hanging of the back of the truck on jerry cans! It was a site. My table will never be the same, but it is usable and that is all that counts!
I paid 150,000 shillings for my mattress, which is only foam with a cover. In american dollars that is around 75-80 dollars. Bikes here cost around 300,000 shillings to 350,000, which is about 160 to 190 dollars depending on the exchange rate. So bikes in Uganda are expensive! My counterpart was upset that I did not get a bike because he said that I can not go to the villages unless I have a bike. I think that I will be doing alot of traveling on the bike, so I have borrowed Sister’s bike until I get mine. I have lost 12 lbs already since I left the US; so after all that bike riding....maybe another 12? Who knows, but I am fine and happy....so don’t worry.
PC gave us settling in money, that will not last me to get everything I need, but it is a start. Everything I have is still packed and I don’t know what is in what bag, so when I finally get settled I will send some pictures.

Well, I guess you have noticed that the internet access is not good up here in the North. Also, I have no electricity, so I can only charge my battery every so often. So I will try to update my blog every chance I get.
I was so touched by the women in the community because I was busy working on an action plan inside and found out that the women in the community were waiting outside in the sun to see me. They waited for over an hour, which I did not know. Then when I came out they welcomed me with smiles, greetings, song, beans, eggs, lentil, potatoes, and cassava. I was so touched at the generosity of people that had no money giving me food to eat. They knew that I was going to start to cook and wanted me to have a welcome gift. My heart was so touched with these people that were sick, malnourished and tired taking their time and food to welcome me...it brought tears to my eyes. That experience will live with me forever.
Another, powerful moment that I experienced was when Father drove me into Lira and told me about his life path. He also told me about the experience he witnessed during the LRA invasion, and what he has noticed with the people since to war. The emotional trauma and how they see life today. What a remarkable man, he is a Doctor and a Priest. He talked about the time he spent in the slams in Kampala as a missionary. Throughout his career he has alternated between Doctor and Priest, he stated that it is too hard to do both. When he came back to Uganda he wanted to work as a Doctor, however the only opening in the Diocese was as a Priest. So we are blessed to have him at the Mission of the Shine of Mary.
The other day, we were visited by a group of American’s that were here for 10 days in Uganda. They were from a Unitarian Church that were visiting the North to explore many things as well as some of the war experiences. It was good to see them and talk English without repeating myself and talking very slowly!

Last Sunday, I got to go to a Wedding. My counterpart was a best man in the wedding. It was good! There was actually 2 weddings and they were held during Mass...which was 3 hours long with the weddings. After the weddings we drove to the village for the reception. Wow! So different than a reception in the states. These are poor people, yet really make the most out of what they have. Everyone sat on the ground under a tent. They had an narrator announce the family and the wedding party, where people got up and said words to the bride and groom, as well as to the family and friends. I would say that there were about 170 people there are a little more. People were given water. They had food brought out: chicken, rice, beans, cassava, and other Uganda food I don’t know names of. Anyway, it was the first time I had to eat with my fingers, just like everyone else!
The food was good. Then they gave gifts. Gifts consisted of a basin for washing, goats, lantern, jerry cans, dishes and some money. I was told that people usually give about 500 (about $ .25), 1000 (about $ .50) or 5000 schillings (about $2.50). When we left that wedding, we had to make another appearance and the next wedding. People have been so welcoming, understanding and accepting of me.

Yesterday, we had a women who was young with 4 children at home. She had just given birth to her 5th child one week ago. She was admitted to the hospital with typhoid, she went to the latrine and collapse and was unable to be recovered. She did not die of typhoid but maybe of postnatal complications or electrolyte imbalance. Please, also keep her in your prayers and her children. The family is not sure what will happen to them.

Well, I think that I have filled you in on all that I can remember since last time I had an entry!

If you want to write or send anything, my new address for the next two years will be:
Iceme Health Center III
Mari Kelley, PCV Uganda
Community Health Division
Box 43
Lira, Uganda

If you are sending any packages that you do not want stolen, then send them DHL or Fed Ex. However, they can be expensive so only send things you really want me to get that way, otherwise send things regular mail.
Well, that is all for now, stay healthy and stay safe!

Love & Light,
Mari

1 comment: