Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Travel to South Africa

1st HTI Level 1 Class in Uganda Utukula Lion Reserve Bengal Tiger

Dear Everyone,

Well, I had the opportunity to be able to travel to Johannesburg, South Africa on March 15th on medevac business. I flew Kenya Airways from Entebbe to Nairobi (1 hour 10 min flight), then from Nairobi to Johannesburg (4 hours 10 min flight). Not sure how long I will be here, however my airline ticket is for 2 weeks, which may or may not change on either side. I had some down time during my travels, so let me tell you what I did!

Prior to boarding the plane in Entebbe, I was in Kampala and met this women who was a retired teacher from Chicago. She was traveling by herself and had gone to Kenya and Tanzania and now was exploring Uganda. I really could not believe all she had accomplished by herself! She spent 2 weeks in each place and then she was meeting up with a church group and continuing with them. She actually was scouting out areas and looking for an NGO to work with for 1 year. I thought that was amazing because you really have to know local people to get things accomplished here.

Not like the airlines in the states...we got breakfast and lunch on the plane...without fees! When I arrived in Johannesburg I had to change US dollars into Rand. It is 1 US dollar/6.700 Rand. Then I was picked up at the airport by the PC vehicle and taken to the Peace Corps office in Pretoria, the PC Medical Headquarters for all of Africa. Pretoria is the capital of South Africa and the accommodations are really nice. South Africa is nothing like Uganda! It is built up and has some of the state of the art hospitals, alot like the US hospitals. Well, the first Heart Transplant was done in SA! Anyway, you can buy just about anything you want in South Africa at reasonable prices. Basically, I would compare it to Washington, DC in the US.

During some of the downtime between my test, I am having FUN!!!! It is like I am back in the states with everything! Even food! However, the different is in the medical care. Here you do not wait for any test, you get it that day and the results that day; in fact they give the results within 30 minutes of your scan/MRI etc. to the patient. Which is Great! America could learn from SA on health care, also, there really is no waiting at MD offices.

So while we were in the process of decisions, I went to the Opera and saw “Carmen,” and that really was a great production! I went to the Lion Reserve, “Utukula,” with 4 of the other PCVs that were Medevac’d from Zambia, Rwanda, Morocco and Swaziland. It was great, You can pet lion baby cubs, feed them with a bottle...I Loved it! I also petted a grown Cheetah! There were Lions, tigers, bengal tigers and white lions all there it was great. Some of you said when I put pictures up on facebook that I had on lipstick. Yes, I still wear lipstick, even in Uganda because that is the best thing that protects your lips! Also, yes, while I was here in South Africa I did do my hair! Also, another question I got on facebook was the houses in Uganda, where they all made of concrete? The majority of homes are huts, but at the Health Center and the Staff quarters they are a type of concrete, but not the concrete we have in the US. It still burns if the fires come up, but less likely and we have tin roofs.

I want to do a few more things while I am here in South Africa before going back to Uganda, like go see a Professional Soccer or Rugby game here at the stadium, go to the Museum in Jo’burg, and go on a safari. Don’t know if I can do all that, because per diem is not much and I can not use shillings here or exchange them...which is strange. Money is all in Rand.

I will also put some pictures on facebook when I went to the Entebbe zoo in Uganda. I was there for a Girls and Boys Camp meeting in February...you will even see me on a Camel!


Updated April 8, 2011

I really can not wait to get back to Uganda, because in April I start teaching Basic Life Skills to the Iceme Secondary girls school 2 x’s per week, about 120 girls. Also, I start my two support groups for War Victims and HIV/AIDS patients and I will be going out into the community more for HIV testing and counseling...so I really want to get back. In February and in March, I taught 2 Healing Touch International Level 1 classes to the staff in Iceme and want to also start a practice group. I am working on the Girls Camp and the Boy’s Camp committees (2 separate camps) for youth development and empowerment. Also, we are starting a Peace Camp in the North, which I am on. I was suppose to teach the new group of volunteers that came in February about Depression on April 4th, but I did not get back. I also missed the PC 50th Anniversary celebration on April 1st. But, I have alot in the works that I want to get back to work on. However, some of the work I am able to do via email which is great. I had my surgery on April 5th, so I should be getting back to Iceme, Uganda after recovering in about 2 or 3 weeks.

Where I am staying at the “Rose” is absolutely gorgeous!, it has a pool, beautiful lush greenery, my own room with this large old fashion time tub, electricity, running water of course with a sink and toilet! We get this magnificence breakfast. I am getting spoiled! The streets look like a High End street in the states. Trees line the streets and they overlap into the middle. I am told that in May the trees are all bloomed with purple flowers and they say it is breathtaking. It is really beautiful and lush even now without the blooms. PC has all the PCVs from all over Africa that are Medevec’d staying at “The Rose” guesthouse. I will put pictures up on facebook as soon as I can. So I get to meet volunteers and find out about their countries PC policies, which are different in each country depending on the Country Director and Staff. Anyway, just wanted to touch base with you all and let you know I am in Great hands here and really in a great place!

Stay safe and Take Care!

Love & Light,
Mari


No comments:

Post a Comment