Friday, December 3, 2010

Some of Uganda Culture



Remember me telling you about weddings and how they have the receptions outside and serve everyone food! Well, I have posted some pictures of the wedding party on my facebook, because I could not get them on the blog. But I've posted, how they walk the wedding party to the hut to change there cloths, wait for them and then walk them back. Also, some of the gifts that are given during the reception are goats, lanterns, pots, money, chickens etc. and you can see how the gifts are given. The band is from the church and as you can see they make their own instruments! I believe that they make then from the bones and skin of cows! There were over 750 people at the reception and everyone is feed, which is just amazing to me.
Also, on facebook I put a video of the band that plays at church, hopefully you can listen to it and here how the instruments sound. They play every Sunday and of course all the weddings and receptions.
There are two other pictures I would like to share with you...in Uganda, babies are carried on the backs of mothers and children. A picture of a child with an infant on her back at the wedding reception. This is not unusual, children take care of children and everyone carries babies on there backs instead of in front. I have another picture on facebook of Sarah, always smiling and happy, she is in the middle of the picture. Sarah's arms and legs are not functional and she has to have everything done for her. Even though she is 5 years old...she is so happy and her family manages with her at home. It is admirable to see her so happy when she depends on everyone for everything.
I know that you heard about he ebola outbreak in Northern Uganda. As far as I have heard, the CDC has stated that it is not ebola, specimens have been sent to South Africa to find out what the disease is. It has taken 39 people's lives.
As for me I will be going to Gulu this weekend, hopefully to get my bike. Plans are underway for Christmas in Kampala. We will be going out into the villages next week to teach family planning. The goal is to teach families to reduce the number of children in one family from approximately 11 to 4!
Stay safe!
Love & Light,
Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment