Sunday, August 29, 2010

August 13, 2010

I am sure that you know by now that I made it to Uganda!

I have already had an experience flying to Uganda. As you know I flew into Philly on the 9th of August. I got there at 1pm and went right into training that started at 12:30pm. We were in training from 12:30 to 7pm. I got to bed around 10:30 pm and got up at 2 am to get the bus for JFK. We got to JFK at 5:30 am, but we were unable to check in until 7 am. Then our flight left at 10:30 am on South Africa Airline to Johannesburg.


We had a 6 hour layover in Johannesburg, and boarded South Africa airlines for Entebbe at 2pm. That was a 5 hours flight. We arrived around 8pm, got our bags and went though customs. Now we were informed that we had to have Ugandan dress entering into the county and all my skirts were in my carryon bag, which I had just gotten. So I went to the BR to change and when I came out....No Bus, No Peace Corp trainees in sight...

Well, that was great, we were not given any phone numbers (security) in the county and we did not get an address where we were going. So here I was in Uganda, not knowing where I was going, and no phone number in country to call and I did not know the language! It was kind of funny, because I always have to have all the information before I leave anywhere. So after many problem solving techniques that did not work...I found someone who had a phone that could call the US (another $10, but worth it). I called the Uganda desk in Washington and thank God and they got in touch with the Uganda PC Director. Little did I know after 1 1/2 hours he was still in the parking lot of the airport because one of the trainees had lost their wallet on the plane, so he was filling out paper work. So I was lucky because we were staying about 45 minutes away from the airport.

Well, now everyone knew who I was...Mary, the girl that was left at the airport! One way I guess to make an impression!

Anyway, we were all exhausted after that long travel, but we were still starting class at 8 am, and breakfast was at 7 am on the 12th. We had a full day of training on the 13th. Everyone was schedule for interviews, they are dividing the Community Heath and Economics Develop which has been working as one division for some time now, but now they have enough staff to separate them. So the 13th, I had my interview with Community Health, it went well but I am not sure what region they are going to put me in. We should know maybe Monday. We are learning Luganda, but depending on what region you are in, it is very possible it is another language. Today’s training was great we did alot of cross culture intro which was fun. I played volleyball with other trainees. Everyone is so nice and adjusting and friendly. There are trainees from 20 to 60. All are under 30 except 6 of us. We have more cross culture tomorrow the 14th and 3 of the other PC volunteers that have been here will talk with us tomorrow. They drove in this evening, 1 guy is extending another year, but in another country. Another has been here 1 year and moved after 6 months to another site due to sponsorship folding and then 1 of the other girls. On Sunday the 15th, we will venture into one section of Kampala to get a tour. On, Monday the16th we meet and move to our Host families, somewhere in Wakiso. We will have our training at the training center during the day, Mon-Fri and be with our host family the rest of the time for 10 weeks. Then to our sites...

Anyway, that is all I know. But, right outside the place where we are eating at the training center that is between Entebbe and Kampala we have monkeys and unbelievable birds! We heard all this noise yesterday afternoon and the kitten had run up the tree to chase the monkey’s and the bird flew down to try to get the kitten...it as so neat to be able to see that right in front of our face!


No comments:

Post a Comment